Wednesday, February 02, 2005

My New Job

Yesterday after work I had my first day of *Lunging* horses at the pishy poshy barn where I take riding lessons. In exchane for free riding time (so so cool!), I am going to exercise some of the horses. I am pleased to report it was, for the most part, a success! YEAH! Let's review...
1) I did not go into my usual terror panic attack when El Instructor said, "Ok, go get OZ and you can start grooming him" OZ is about 8 feet high and is only 5 years old so he is just a baby. I am not used to babies nor am I tall enough to even reach his back.
2) I spent probably 45 mins talking with OZ, actually convincing him that I would pay him big dollars to behave so I didn't look like a complete idiot. He took the bribe.
3) I had the best time running about like a fool trying to lunge for the first time, a 5-year old (OZ) in the humongous indoor arena
4) Am thinking I should become a horse trainer for a living
5) Am kidding re #4.
6) I am going again tomorrow for day 2 on the job...I am kind of scared I won't remember how to do everything.
7) I'll probably do just fine but I am way too hard on myself when it comes to my equine knowledge and performance
8) I am afraid I need to back out of some of the volunteer work I do with a riding therapy program so I can do this lunging/free riding thing. But I got into the riding therapy thing to be around horses more so I could learn and feel comfy around them...problem is, I ended up being sucked in and am now in charge of the volunteer program. Thus I am quite committed at the moment despite the fact that I don't get to spent much time around the horses. I am such a sucker...I just can't say no. H says I have to remember why I got into it in the first place and just do my horse thing. I simply hate to have people pissed off at me. Such a quandry.
9) Gave the poodles baths again tonight...they are all soft and sweet and fragrant. I love them. Ya, so I really wanted labs but H doesn't like big dogs so we have poodles that I am training to be labs!
10) I don't even know how to describe how I felt driving home after my *lunging*. Something like a combination of the wonderful smell of an 8 foot horse called OZ, tiredness from running around for an hour, that thrill of knowing I just did something so cool that I have dreamed about since I was like 6 years old and now that I am doing it, I am sure it is exactly what I thought it would be...even tho I am now 40 and how come I had to wait so long :) What a cool feeling :-)

No comments: