Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I'll take a George, with a slice of lime...

As new as my horse is to me, (4 mos this weekend!) I can honestly say that one of my favorite things about him is how he just stands and listens and gives me those big brown eyes when the cold and the grey and the long winter get me feeling a little blue. Lately old George has been the stiff martini I have needed. I think I am really beginning to like the old fella.


I lost a good friend a few months ago. Actually, one of my best friends. I met Pam about 16 years ago when we worked together. She and I immediately connected...one of those friendships where you just hit it off and love the heck out of each other from day one. She was a super wife, a great mother, and a true friend. She was a peach...and probably one of the funniest people I have ever had the opportunity to meet. Although we went on to different jobs and moved about our lives during the years after we met, we were always able to pick right up and laugh and have a drink anytime. We had great fun. Pam died of lung cancer in October. She never smoked and did everything as healthy wealthy and wise as the rest of us...it was one of those terribly unfair deaths that make you shake your head and wonder what the hell just happened.

I miss Pam an awful lot.


As corny as it sounds, I find that during those quiet moments in the barn when I am brushing my horse and just concentrating on the silky reddish color of his coat and the calming brown color of his eyes, I know I am getting the best therapy ever.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I've spent a lot of time in therapy, and I concur that brushing my horse and looking into her soft brown eyes is better than any couch time I ever spent. I'm sorry for your loss.

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm with you too. I have had lots of time in therapy but nothing does for me what a horse does. Fills my cup up til the darn thing runs over. It's a good thing.