Saturday, February 17, 2007

Out of the mouths of babes

I am sitting here in the Sitting Room...just waiting for the TWO to THREE inches of snow to finish falling so I can head out to clear the driveway. I have to admit, it is pretty and sort of Christmas-y; however, aside from the feverish flu I seem to be fighting I think I also have a bad case of Cabin Fever. I. Want. To. Ride. My. Horse.

Yesterday I talked BarnFriendEmily. Emily is 14 and quite refreshing in that she is one of those teens who is polite, sweet, helpful, and wears jeans that actually fit. Emily is also horse crazy...I just love her to bits. Her parents just purchased for her the horse she has been leasing from the owner of the barn where we board. When she called to tell me he was going to be hers "forever and ever!", she was in tears she was so thrilled. No ipods or cellphones for her dammit, she just wanted a horse. My kind of kid.

Anyway, when we talked yesterday I expressed to Emily how frustrated I am about not being able to work with George. I told her I am a bit nervous about just hopping on him after nearly a month off and how am I going to know if he is going to remember everything, blah, blah, blah. I went on and on, raving like a lunatic about my fears and frustrations. Emily just listened for a few moments and then said, bless her 14 yr old heart, "Oh, it's no big deal! Last year I took the whole winter off...don't worry, you will be right back on track for summer after just a couple of weeks."

At that moment, I realized how frigging old I am. When exactly is it that we get to a point in our lives where we feel like we are running so short on time? When, if we aren't exactly on schedule, everything will fall apart, never to be fixed! To Emily, this cold snowy weather biz is just a small glitch. An inconvenience, but nothing that will stop us from picking up right where we left off once the weather breaks. All will be fine and we will be riding again in due time. There is plenty of time for everything and no need for worry.

I guess the more I thought about what Emily said, the more I realized I must dig out my Inner Teen when I get stressed about all things George. Then, when the time comes, I may actually just sit back and enjoy the ride instead of analyzing every teensy glitch.

Meanwhile, it looks like the dog has the hang of it...

No comments: